The benefits of Echinacea:
- Contains a highly prized form of echinacea (containing purpurea and angustifolia)
- Can help support the immune function
- Contains goldenseal and grapeseed extract
- Helps maintain good health
Echinacea has a rich tradition in the culture of the North American plains Indians, who used it more than any other plant to help maintain their health during the winter. They also applied root poultices, used echinacea mouthwash and drank the tea. It was prominent in America until the 1940s. The Europeans, who discovered it in the 1930s, still use it extensively.
Botanists named the plant after the hedgehog (Echinus) to describe its prickly, cone-like centre. It grows naturally in the Midwest states from western Pennsylvania to Kansas and as far south as northern Texas. Hundreds of scientific studies have indicated that echinacea can help support the body’s immune system.
In recent years, research has discovered a mechanism through which echinacea may help. One of the primary defence mechanisms of the body is a jelly-like substance called hyaluronic acid (HA). HA occurs in the tissues between cells to cement them together. There is an enzyme, hyaluronidase, which attacks HA, when it does, the HA quickly loses its jelly-like viscosity, and this protective cement loses its effectiveness. If the enzyme is allowed to destroy the integrity of the HA barrier, immune function may suffer. Echinacea has been shown to prevent the enzyme from dissolving HA.
Echinacea contains both of the most highly prized forms of echinacea (purpurea and angustifolia), plus goldenseal and grapeseed extract, for maximum benefits.
Benefits of the Ingredients
The following are the benefits of the ingredients that are used to make the unique Forever Living Echinacea Supreme supplement.
- Goldenseal Root: This herb has antimicrobial properties that will help to fight viral, bacterial as well as fungal infections.Goldenseal contains berberine, which is a powerful antifungal and antibacterial that is also found in barberry, goldthread, Oregon grape, and yellowroot.Treatment with these medicinal herbs is particularly effective as berberine treats the infecting fungus while leaving beneficial micro flora in the gut intact. Berberine is thought to prevent yeasts from producing lipase, an enzyme critical to colonization.
- Grape seed Extract: This extract is loaded with antioxidant properties as well as vitamins and helps in fighting cancer. It will also help in improving the health of the cardiovascular system, brain activity, skin health as well as helps in managing the body weight.
- Purpurea and Augustifolia: These are the two popular from s of Echinacea that has various health benefits. They help in reducing the severity of respiratory infections and also shorten the duration of the respiratory infection. They are particularly very effective during winter periods. The Echinacea herb helps to treat canker sores, cold sores, mouth, throat and digestive tract ailments.
A pack of Forever Living Echinacea Supreme supplement comes with 60 tablets. It is recommended to take a tablet twice every day for about 4 to 8 weeks to see effective results. You need to give a gap of one week at least before resuming using the product after taking it continuously for four weeks.
Studies have produced conflicting results as to the benefits of echinacea. Today, Echinacea is used widely all over the world for a range of illnesses, infections, and conditions. Below is a list of some of these uses.
- acid indigestion
- attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- chronic fatigue syndrome
- genital herpes
- gum disease
- rattlesnake bite
- septicemia – bloodstream infection
- streptococcus infection
- urinary tract infection
- vaginal yeast infection
How effective is Echinacea for the prevention of colds?
Extracts of echinacea do seem to have an effect on the immune system, your body’s defense against germs. Research shows it increases the number of white blood cells, which fight infections. A review of more than a dozen studies, published in 2014, found the herbal remedy had a very slight benefit in preventing colds.
What are the benefits of Echinacea?
Promoters of Echinacea say that the herb encourages the immune system and reduces many of the symptoms of colds, flu and some other illnesses, infectionsand conditions. Echinacea is a perennial plant, it lasts for many years.
Follow the directions on the package label, or talk to your doctor before you buy an herbal product. Don’t take echinacea on an empty stomach. Instead, take it with food or a large glass of water. Do not take echinacea for more than 2 weeks without talking to your doctor first.
Is it safe to take Echinacea while pregnant?
Probably, but to be on the safe side, you might want to avoid it during pregnancy. Here’s why: While I would rate echinacea as low risk, there’s not enough data to completely rule out risk for most drugs or herbal products during pregnancy. (For safety reasons, few studies test these products in human pregnancies.)
Echinacea Used in Treating Yeast infections
Another application for Echinacea is yeast infections. Individuals with recurrent yeast infections would do well to take measures to support their immune system, and this herb can enhance immune function. In one study, women who took Echinacea experienced a 43% decline in the recurrence rate of yeast infections.4 This does not mean, however, that Echinacea is a substitute for anti-yeast medication
Echinacea Used in Treating General infection
Like Echinacea, Goldenseal is also able to help fight infection by increasing the production of antigen-specific immunoglobulins. Other research has demonstrated Goldenseal’s antibacterial activity. If you’re going to try Goldenseal supplementation, look for a product that is standardized for 12% of its active alkaloids.
Echinacea Used in Treating Urinary tract infections
In addition, Goldenseal root and other plants containing in Forever Echinacea may help in the treatment of urinary tract infections. The reason for this is that berberine helps inhibit bacteria from adhering to the wall of the urinary bladder. Goldenseal is not a substitute for antibiotic treatment during an acute UTI.
Contents: 60 tablets.
Take 1 tablet twice daily. For best results, after taking Forever Echinacea for 4 to 8 weeks, a break of 7 days is recommended before resuming use of this product.
Note: if you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant, please consult your doctor before using this product
Serving size: 2 Tablets Amount Per Serving
Proprietary Blend 500mg
Echinacea purpurea (whole herb) *
Echinacea angustifolia (root) *
Goldenseal (root) 300mg*
Grapeseed extract 100mg*
* Daily Value not established.
Cellulose, stearic acid, magnesium stearate, croscarmellose sodium, silicon dioxide and hydroxypropyl methylcellulose.